Research has shown that natural light positively impacts our mood and mental health. Exposure to natural light increases the production of serotonin and reduces the production of melatonin. This means improving both our mood and sleep. Serotonin is known as the "happy hormone" as it's responsible for feelings of happiness and well-being.
Yet, while natural light is essential for our overall health and well-being, it can also work wonders in positively impacting the design and feel of our bathrooms.
Here. The Bathroom Showroom explores the many benefits of natural light in the bathroom. Helping you to brighten up your morning routine, we consider how to bring more natural light into this space.
The Benefits of Natural Light in a Bathroom
- As bacteria thrive in damp, dark environments, natural light in the bathroom can help prevent the growth of mould and mildew.
- Natural light helps reduce the need for artificial lighting, thus leading to a more energy-efficient and cost-effective bathroom.
- The appearance of natural light in a bathroom creates a sense of calm and tranquillity, promoting a relaxing and soothing environment.
- Natural light can help us feel more connected to nature and create a peaceful atmosphere that's perfect for unwinding, de-stressing and relaxing.
- Improving our mood and productivity, exposure to natural light has been shown to increase serotonin levels, which can help us feel more energised and focused.
- Creating a sense of space and openness, plentiful natural light enhances a spacious and open feel in a small bathroom. By letting in more light, the room will feel larger and less claustrophobic. This helps transform a dull and dreary bathroom into a serene and inviting oasis.
How to Increase Natural Light in a Bathroom
Here are some bathroom ideas that maximise natural light, helping you design a bright, airy, and inviting space.
- Install a larger window. If your bathroom has a small window, consider replacing it with a larger window. This will allow more natural light to enter the space, creating a more spacious and open feel.
- Add a skylight. If your bathroom is located on the top floor of your home, consider adding a skylight. This will allow natural light to flood the room from above, creating a bright and airy atmosphere.
- Utilise bathroom mirrors. Mirrors can help reflect and amplify the natural light in a bathroom. Consider adding a large mirror or several smaller mirrors to the space to encourage light to bounce around the room.
- Choose reflective surfaces. Reflective surfaces like glass, marble, and metal can also help bounce light around the room, creating a sense of space.
- Use light colours on your bathroom walls. Lighter colour choices reflect more light than dark colours. So, consider painting your bathroom walls a light shade to help brighten up this space. The use of lighter hues also helps in floors and fixture choices.
- Add increased lighting choices. While natural light is ideal, it's not always possible in every bathroom design. So, adding more lighting here can help better brighten this space and create a more inviting atmosphere.
- Install a glass shower enclosure. A see-through shower enclosure choice helps open up the room as it allows light to flow throughout without interruptions.
- Add greenery. Plants are a great way to bring a natural element into a bathroom, especially when choosing those plants that thrive in humid environments.
- Use minimal window treatments. Window treatments that allow natural light to enter the space while still providing privacy, like sheer curtains or blinds, will further help maximise natural light. Also, use window treatments that can be easily opened and closed to allow you control over the amount of natural light that enters the space.
- Finally, clean your windows regularly. Natural light is fantastic, but it can also highlight dirt and grime on your windows. By keeping your windows clear, especially during those summer months, you can help them look their best.
Designing Bathrooms With Natural Lighting
Natural light is a powerful design element that can transform dull and dreary bathrooms into a bright and inviting oasis. By incorporating natural light into your bathroom design, you can create a space that’s both beautiful and functional. This way you get to reap the many health benefits of exposure to natural light.
If you’re looking for further help and advice, book an appointment with The Bathroom Showroom. Experts in all things bathrooms, we can help turn your dream bathroom into a reality.