When making the most of your bath time, a bath bomb is a penultimate addition. Bath bombs add a fabulous element of luxury to bath water. Yet, they also provide the most fun and relaxing of pampering sessions. The Bathroom Showroom takes a quick look at the origins of the bath bomb, highlighting its many benefits.
Where Did the Bath Bomb Originate?
The bath bomb was originally created in a garden shed by Mo Constantine. Mo is the co-founder and product investor for the popular British company, Lush.
In 1989, Mo was simply looking for a way to make bath sessions a more luxurious time. She wanted to find a solution for pampering the skin without irritating it.
Mo began to pair ingredients that were known to be thoroughly beneficial to the skin. She concentrated her efforts on selecting rich oils and butter that worked to treat the skin. At the same time, these experiments started to take on an ambience all of their own.
Combining such ingredients, Mo stumbled across a way to combine colour and fragrance. By doing so, she had effortlessly developed a form of aromatherapy for the bathroom.
In 1995, the store Lush was created and Mo’s creations were made available to the public.
What Is a Bath Bomb and What Is a Bath Bomb Made Of?
A bath bomb is made using a good balance of bicarbonates and a weak acid. When placed in water, the ingredients of a bath bomb will react. The result is a bubble and fizz effect when connecting with bath water.
This effect is due to the release of carbon dioxide and sodium citrate, creating a chemical reaction. As the bubble and fizz effect takes place, the bath bomb emits sensational scents and colours. This is because when the bath bomb dissolves, it begins to break apart. Here is where the good stuff is released.
The result is a spectacular display in the bathtub. But, ultimately bath bombs release several emollients that are softening for the skin. So, bath bombs are one of the most luxurious bath time treats.
What Are the Benefits of Bath Bombs?
- Bath bombs are a fun addition to any bath time
- They can instantly turn a simple bath into a spa-like bath
- The oils included provide relief for many skin types and are super-effective at moisturising
- The sodium bicarbonate ingredient provides a detoxifying element to your bath
- The fragrance released from bath bombs is delightful - with so many scents available to choose from
- Bath bombs aid relaxation in the bath. They can help with fatigue and tension
- They offer a fabulous backdrop for both pampering sessions and romantic bath sessions
- They work on several of our senses all at once
- They promote a balanced mindset and leave you feeling invigorated after using
- They're so simple to use. You just drop them into the water and let them do their magic
- Bath bombs come in various sizes, shapes, and colours. This makes them stunning additions to the bathroom when put on display
- You don't have to wait for the bath bomb to dissolve - you can safely get in the bath at the same time as it
Bath Bombs offer a Wealth of Bathroom Inspiration
If you’re looking for ways to mix up your bath times, a bath bomb is the perfect skin-friendly and bath-friendly solution. Whether it’s an energising, spa-like, or anxiety-reducing bath time you’re after, there’s a bath bomb to suit all your needs.
For more bathroom ideas and bathroom inspiration, take a look at our Rest and Relaxation blog section. With articles from showering better for fabulous skincare, to everything you need to know when choosing bath salts, we provide a wealth of guidance to help you make the most of your bathroom.